Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Passion Pushes You.

For those who are regular readers of my blog or may know me, I love to draw. It's been a passion since I was a youngster. From the age of 2 or 3 my passion was 'body art'. Kid you not, if I had access to a pen or marker it was almost guaranteed that within an hour I would be covered head to toe with beautiful scribbles. My parents didn't appreciate this form of art, and to be honest they didn't like it one bit. I guess I wasn't the one that had to scrub their child head to toe to get rid of all the pen marks.  Surely growing I may have seen the white walls as a potential canvas, however I cannot clearly distinct as to when, or if I did draw on the walls.

When I finally reached an age where I understood that drawing on myself was not an option anymore, I began drawing on paper. My drawings didn't always make sense, and I'm sure at times I didn't understand them either. Now being this young I was never like 'I'm an artist', or never thought 'I want to become really good at drawing', it was just something I did when I was bored. Most little kids love to draw, and I'm sure you all did too when you were younger.

I used to go through so much of mum and dad's printing paper in a week it was ridiculous. At one stage they tried weaning me off the good paper, and started to give me scrap paper. Now who wants to draw on scrap paper when you know what it's like to draw on fresh blank white sheets, blank on both sides! Because I knew where the paper was, I used to just help myself to the supply secretly. One year on one of my birthdays, mum and dad actually went out and bought me my very own block of fresh white blank sheets of paper. This was probably one of the best gifts I have ever been given, it honestly made my parents my favourite people. Not that they weren't already my favourite people, but I definitely didn't have to second guess it.

I went through a horse phase, a phase when I would only and I mean ONLY draw horses.  I was probably like 6 when it started, and the phase didn't end until I was like in year 10. Now I've hit another phase. A people phase! However I cannot see this one phasing out. I am currently working on a new drawing , and I'm feeling really excited about this one. It's bigger than normal, and I feel that with the face and features I'm working with, I can truly work with my strengths. Considering I'm feeling this proud of my current project, I'm thinking that I will post my final product on my blog for you guys to see. I'm going to actually scan it this time though!

I'm not perfect at drawing, and I don't know if I ever will be, but I will always continue to draw up until the day I die. My love of drawing has only just pushed me to become better than I am, which allows for growth. There is room for improvement in everything that we do, and if you are truly passionate about something, and you keep on pushing yourself, you will only become greater in everything you do.

Peace out,
Shaylie xoxo

1 comment: