I'll start when I was really young, and honestly I cannot believe that I still remember some of this stuff.
A little background info before I jump into the stories. So I was born in good old Adelaide, and lived there until I was around three years old. We then moved to a little place called Swan Hill, and I went to preschool through to year 2 there. After living there for five good years we then moved back to Adelaide, and I completed year 3 all the way up to mid year 7. On my birthday we moved to Geelong, and ever since then we have lived here!
Story time! So when I was like 2/3 we lived in this house in Adelaide that had a bakehouse out the back. My Great Grandpa built that place, and that's when they started the family baking business. Sadly he passed away before I ever got to know him. I remember so clearly, seeing my Great Grandma, my Grandpa, my grandpa's sister, my uncle and my dad working in the early hours of the morning baking up a storm. Most mornings I'd wake up really really early, find my tiny dressing gown and make my way out to the bakehouse in my backyard. Most kids played with play dough, whereas I had my own setup out back. My table was a bigger white bucket tipped upside down, while I sat on a smaller white bucket also tipped upside down. I remember my Uncle Rod would come over and give me some scraps of dough to keep me entertained, and I remember just absolutely loving life. That was also the house that we owned a cockatoo named Sparky. Sparky was pretty tame, and I always remembered him as being a really awesome pet. One day he just disappeared, and I always assumed he flew away to be with his girlfriend in this massive tree in sight from our house. I mean why else would he just disappear? I only found out a couple of years ago that mum and dad gave him away.
I remember the Swan Hill days. I am so glad that I grew up around there, because I was so free. The neighborhood was truly awesome. When I was in prep I used to regularly visit this little old lady who lived across the road and drink lemonade with her. I was a very outgoing little girl, and was always down for a chat. I really have no idea how I even met that lady, and why I randomly started to visit her! If I wasn't at her house, I was down the road at this girls house. I loved visiting her, the first thing we would do is dress up in her ballerina outfits, and I'm not just talking about a tutu, like I'm talking proper ballerina outfits. Then we would just jump on her trampoline for ages. I also have no idea how I met that girl either. Maybe I was just playing on the street someday and she just invited me over? Who knows! I also remember my group of Indigenous friends that I hung out with regularly. It was a small group of us, and thinking back now I think I could have been the only girl! We had this club meeting place along the sidewalk. Walking past it would have looked like a hedge, but little did everyone know it was all hollow and we would have out club meetings there. I'm sure there was a club handshake and callout signal too, but I don't really remember. Once my scooter got stolen, and I was so distraught that those boys actually went out looking for it. Eventually they actually found it in some gutter, and I was really mad because whoever stole it removed the black cushiony stuff on the handle bars! I sometimes wonder whoever those boys are now, if they remember our little club like I do. I'm pretty sure I met those boys at a kids church gathering, which was fairly local as the church was just around the corner from my house.
Finishing up, I'll leave you with one last story. So I was a pretty well behaved kid when I was young, but I definitely had my moments. In comparison to my younger sister, Elise, I had plenty of moments which often led to the wooden spoon. When I was really little, I don't even think I was in preschool yet, I loved to draw and I still do. I would draw on paper, I would draw on walls, I would draw on books and one of my favoured places to draw was on myself. Even now unto this day I still get that look of disapproval when I draw on myself. Pens could not be left in my track as I would simply just cover my entire body with scribbles. There must have been a time period when I was really good, refraining myself from using my body as an expression of art, so mum and dad thought it would be nice to reward me with a doll house. This is back when those Fisher Price doll houses were just released and I was super pumped. So in the car we go to buy this doll house. We get all the way to the toy store, and guess what. Yes. I somehow managed to find a pen, and for some crazy reason I drew all over myself. I must have been a pretty stupid kid, because let me tell you... I did not go home with a dolls house that night... Eventually I did somehow manage to get that dolls house though.
Thought it would be nice to share some of my memories with you, ones that never fail to put a smile on my face, and I hope it possibly put a smile on yours!
I remember the Swan Hill days. I am so glad that I grew up around there, because I was so free. The neighborhood was truly awesome. When I was in prep I used to regularly visit this little old lady who lived across the road and drink lemonade with her. I was a very outgoing little girl, and was always down for a chat. I really have no idea how I even met that lady, and why I randomly started to visit her! If I wasn't at her house, I was down the road at this girls house. I loved visiting her, the first thing we would do is dress up in her ballerina outfits, and I'm not just talking about a tutu, like I'm talking proper ballerina outfits. Then we would just jump on her trampoline for ages. I also have no idea how I met that girl either. Maybe I was just playing on the street someday and she just invited me over? Who knows! I also remember my group of Indigenous friends that I hung out with regularly. It was a small group of us, and thinking back now I think I could have been the only girl! We had this club meeting place along the sidewalk. Walking past it would have looked like a hedge, but little did everyone know it was all hollow and we would have out club meetings there. I'm sure there was a club handshake and callout signal too, but I don't really remember. Once my scooter got stolen, and I was so distraught that those boys actually went out looking for it. Eventually they actually found it in some gutter, and I was really mad because whoever stole it removed the black cushiony stuff on the handle bars! I sometimes wonder whoever those boys are now, if they remember our little club like I do. I'm pretty sure I met those boys at a kids church gathering, which was fairly local as the church was just around the corner from my house.
Finishing up, I'll leave you with one last story. So I was a pretty well behaved kid when I was young, but I definitely had my moments. In comparison to my younger sister, Elise, I had plenty of moments which often led to the wooden spoon. When I was really little, I don't even think I was in preschool yet, I loved to draw and I still do. I would draw on paper, I would draw on walls, I would draw on books and one of my favoured places to draw was on myself. Even now unto this day I still get that look of disapproval when I draw on myself. Pens could not be left in my track as I would simply just cover my entire body with scribbles. There must have been a time period when I was really good, refraining myself from using my body as an expression of art, so mum and dad thought it would be nice to reward me with a doll house. This is back when those Fisher Price doll houses were just released and I was super pumped. So in the car we go to buy this doll house. We get all the way to the toy store, and guess what. Yes. I somehow managed to find a pen, and for some crazy reason I drew all over myself. I must have been a pretty stupid kid, because let me tell you... I did not go home with a dolls house that night... Eventually I did somehow manage to get that dolls house though.
Thought it would be nice to share some of my memories with you, ones that never fail to put a smile on my face, and I hope it possibly put a smile on yours!
No comments:
Post a Comment